Sunday 25 September 2011

Bad Dreams

So the inspiration for this came in the wee small hours of this morning and after going over and over the dream in my head I thought I'd see if anyone else has similar experiences.

Nightmares suck when they are out-right terrifying, such as being chased by someone/something, or ones where you are completely unprepared for something that's actually happening in the future (like an exam or meeting or the like) and you can't tell if it's real or not til you wake up.

The dream I had last night was not out right terrifying when it was occurring but since waking up and thinking more about it, I can't get it out of my head. So let me tell you about it,

I was in a hilly region on what I presume was on the north-east coast of Scotland where I have a caravan and regularly go to over the summer. Only like in a lot of dreams it wasn't how it actually is in real life, and instead of the caravan being on the beach, I was in a cottage on a former farm estate (I guess) based quite high up a hill.

There were about 20 people or so milling about trying to get things in order, as if they were preparing for a guest or special visitor of some kind. My oldest sister was also there but regularly appeared then disappeared throughout, coming back to tell me to wait for my other sister and parents to arrive.

It then became apparent that the people milling about were mostly scientists, and that the seas were starting to rise so they were predicting how much time was left etc, with the answer being hours. The position of the cottage meant I could look down to where the sea was at the base of some cliffs, but as the sea was dark and the area in shadow, it was hard to tell if it was where it was usually or if it had actually risen.

I kept wandering about while waiting for the rest of my family but the number of milling people gradually depleted so that there were only a couple of waiters and me and my sister left. There was a brand new top of the line police car just sitting on the farm grounds which I started making my way towards to try and start driving to higher ground. I asked my sister where we should go and she said the name of a wee town just south of Aberdeen as it's where our parents and other sister had apparently gone to. "Either there or [some other place I can't remember], we'll see them in heaven soon," she said with a kind of shrug of indifference and peace at the same time.

My sister is quite a fighter so it was weird to hear her ready to give up so easily, then when I turned back round to ask her if she was serious she had disappeared. Where she had been standing I could see the waters rising up the cliffs and felt angry that I just had to hang around to drown. At the same moment, one of the waiters appeared with some kind of device that would have stopped the waters rising, but even though it was too late for the device to be of any use, he was really happy with what he had made.

And that was the dream. As I say, not a nightmare as I think of them, but just a horribly depressing dream of being in a situation where your options have all gone and you're alone waiting for the end, while the only other companion you have is someone overjoyed with something completely useless. I guess it's an anxiety dream of not making anything with my life and ending up alone.

Another strange thing that seems to be a recurring theme with my 'bad dreams' is a lot of them take place at or near the caravan site where I have so many happy memories from real life. If anyone can make sense of this then I'd love to know what it means!

Final thing about the dream is that it reminded me of this song,

No comments:

Post a Comment